This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8606 / 51°51'38"N
Longitude: -4.2977 / 4°17'51"W
OS Eastings: 241872
OS Northings: 220500
OS Grid: SN418205
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SYDP
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.GHBH
Entry Name: ,7,Old Priory Road,,,,SA31 1NP
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82135
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Second house of row of 4 built across Old Priory Road with throughway under centre.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of a row of cottages with archway on the site of the gateway to the Priory of St. John the Evangelist, C15 altered or rebuilt in mid C19.
The Augustinian priory was founded in the C12 on the site of a Celtic monastery, and flourished through the medieval period. The Black Book of Carmarthen was written here c1200. After the Dissolution in 1537 there was a mansion within the buildings, but the earliest view in 1748 shows ruins. The poorhouse was on the site from 1758 using an existing building, and the priory ruins were then cleared in the late C18 for a lead works, and these removed for the railway in the mid C19.
In 1804 there was still a handsome gateway with carved work including a red and white rose, which is probably the surviving arch. The C15 carved arms now in St Peter's church was found in one of the cottages in 1878 and a Tudor mullioned window is said to have been found in an internal wall above the archway. In No 6 a large blocked archway was found in the NE gable, since plastered over. Renovated 1993 when 2 late C15 to early C16 fireplaces and a blocked 4-centred arched doorway were discovered in the first floor NW interior, which have been preserved.
Attached cottage, the second from E end of a row of 4 with painted stucco cladding, and imitation slate close-eaved gabled roof with C19 red brick stacks, one to right, one to left of No 7, one between Nos 7a and 7b. Two-storey range of cottages with one-window range each and door in adjacent bay. Late C19 4-pane horned sashes, upper window heads under eaves, lower openings with slightly cambered heads. Renewed ledged doors with overlights. Nos 6 and 7, are a mirrored pair with the 2 doors in the middle. Nos 7a and 7b are mirrored but with the doors to outer bays.
Through arch between Nos 7 and 7a with elliptical arch and one window over.
Included as part of a terraced row closely following the line of, and including fabric from, the Priory gatehouse.
Other nearby listed buildings