This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8559 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3142 / 4°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 240720
OS Northings: 220006
OS Grid: SN407200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T6JV
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.5ML5
Entry Name: Eastern pair of lamp standards in Carmarthen Park
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82152
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated just inside main entrance on left side of roadway.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of pair of cast-iron lampstands in Gothic style, marked as made by James Davies, Towy Works, Carmarthen, and presumably erected 1900 when park was opened. There is a suggestion that these lampstands were originally to Christ Church, Lammas Street.
One of 2 cast iron lamp standards, painted black and white, on square concrete bases. Square section plinth, then shaft with chamfered angles and pierced panel each side with roundels, then square panel each side pierced with embellished quatrefoil, under 4 very short inset angle columns under pierced rosette each face and corbelled cap. Plain large lamp above may be C20 replacement. Plinths are marked James Davies, Carmarthen.
Included as an ornate piece of late Victorian cast-iron park furniture. Part of a relatively complete urban park of C1900.
Other nearby listed buildings