This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8551 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.322 / 4°19'19"W
OS Eastings: 240183
OS Northings: 219944
OS Grid: SN401199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TBM9
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.1MHQ
Entry Name: Gwynfryn
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82160
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at SW end of Penllwyn Park
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Large house of c1900 by George Morgan & Son of Carmarthen, the largest house of the Penllwyn Park development, now divided with separate house in rear service range (No 17). Penllwyn Park was developed by the Carmarthen Land Co from 1893, with George Morgan as architect. Two villas were built in 1893-4, Radnor House, No 12, for C.W. Jones JP in 1896, and plans for 5 houses for J. Richards and 5 for Messrs Brown, Thomas & John, builders, all by Morgan are in the National Library.
House, the main part now No 16, the service wing No 17. Rock-faced coursed Pennant stone with extensive Bath stone dressings and some half-timber. Slate roofs with red terracotta ridges, and red brick chimneys. Complex asymmetrical facade in generally Northern Renaissance style. Two storeys and attic, with recessed centre attic between 2 coped gabled bays, left bay projects further than right bay. Right gable has curved head, ogee curved sides and corniced shoulders, the left gable is straight sided with corniced shoulder to right and ball finial, the short left side abutting slated spire of a large octagonal corner bay-window. Ashlar ovolo-moulded mullion windows with sashes, small-paned to top sash only. Right gable has projecting large ashlar 2-storey square bay with parapet stepped up at centre and angles. Four-light window each floor, longer on ground floor, with moulded courses above and to first floor sill. Ashlar chamfered plinth below ground floor sill. In gable apex are 2 narrow windows in flush surrounds.
Centre is recessed but has 2-bay Bath stone arcade between corner of left gable and corner of right bay window. Arcade has panelled centre pier and outer responds, moulded capitals and roll-moulded arches with spandrel panels. Balustrade above with turned stone balusters and centre panelled pier, mouldings continued from bays each side. Ground floor has moulded cambered-headed door and plate glass window, door mouldings stopped at window sill height, and each with ashlar 2-light overlight with leaded coloured glass. Six-panel door. First floor has triple mullion opening (door and 2 sashes) under lean-to slate roof carried on single broad elliptical arch. Above lean-to roof is large half-timbered attic gable with 5-light timber window with casements and small-paned top lights. Vertical timbering in gable, modillioned bargeboards and terracotta finial.
Left gable has small attic sash with moulded course over, first floor 2-light window offset to right over canted ashlar bay with moulded cornice and parapet with moulded coping. Bay is paired with ground floor of the octagonal corner turret, similar in detail but windows on 5 sides, matching ashlar first floor with moulded string courses between floors, and then band of half-timber under candle-snuffer bellcast octagonal slate spire with ball finial.
Left side is plainer with the octagonal bay to right and large projecting gable to left. Rock-faced stone and flush ashlar dressings, raised plinth, sashes with small-paned top sash. Gable has attic sash, a pair to first floor centre and another to right, and a long triple window to ground floor. Between gable and corner octagon is a large lean-to with 2 small lights and slate roof hipped to right.
Service range, No 17, is listed separately.
Included as one of the most elaborate late Victorian villas in Carmarthen, designed by the major local architect, part of a significant late C19 residential development.
Other nearby listed buildings