This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8567 / 51°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.3043 / 4°18'15"W
OS Eastings: 241405
OS Northings: 220083
OS Grid: SN414200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T902
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLVG
Entry Name: Masonic Hall
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82168
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Situated approximately 10m NE of junction with Brick Lane.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Masonic Hall Built and dated in 1911 by George Morgan & Son. The hall replaces one opened in 1889.
Masonic Hall in painted stucco with raised painted plinth. Two storey, irregular 4-window range with roof behind parapet. Entrance bay to left and first floor hall in 3-bay right section. Left section has banded rustication treated as pilasters to frame narrow window and door, with panelled tops to the 3 pilasters. Panelled door to right with overlight of 2 4-pane lights and narrow window to left with matching 4-pane top-light. First floor has shallow oriel with stepped underside to base, dated 1911, under tall 18-pane horned sash with pilaster sides and frieze and cornice aligned with main cornice. Parapet over slightly lower than main parapet.
Right section has full height squared projection with narrow recesses to either side, cornice broken forward, and similar parapets, slightly lower on projection. Both floors have fenestration in pilastrade of 4 pilasters framing 3 windows. Ground floor has continuous sill beneath 12-pane horned sashes with lower 3 panes blanked in timber each light. Between storeys is rectangular panel in moulded frame with MASONIC HALL in raised capitals. Taller pilasters above between first floor long 18-pane horned sashes with frieze under cornice and parapet.
Not available for inspection.
Included as an early C20 purpose-built Masonic Hall, an expressive design with emphasis on the first floor, the detail largely intact.
Other nearby listed buildings