This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3059 / 4°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 241297
OS Northings: 220063
OS Grid: SN412200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8LS
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BL0N
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82172
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated facing down Queen Street towards SW end of King Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Bank premises of 1903-4 by W.W.Gwyther of London, built for the National Provincial Bank.
Possibly on the site of the town house of the Philipps of Cwmgwili c1790, which had itself become commercial premises by 1814 - a chemists shop, of Samuel Tardrew (mayor in 1846) then Smith & Co, c.1850-64. Sold in 1864 to the National Provincial Bank, and altered by Thomas George. Old photographs show a 3-storey, 4-bay stuccoed neo-Grec building with broad giant pilasters to upper floors. The bank took over the Carmarthen bank of David Morris & Sons in 1871.
In 1904 when opened, interior was described as having a ceramic mosaic floor, panelled ceiling with enriched cornices supported on decorated columns. There was mahogany joinery and a wrought iron counter screen. The manager's residence was above with first floor drawing, dining and morning rooms, 3 bedrooms on the second floor and three in attic. 1937 photos show panelled counter with wrought iron screens, panelled ceiling on big Ionic columns with bases at counter-top height and a chequered marble floor.
Banking premises, yellow Cefn stone and Ruabon red brick with granite plinth. Slate mansard roof behind parapet and brick end stacks. Three storeys and attic, 5 bays, Edwardian classical style. Corniced ashlar ground floor with door to left and 2 big 3-light mullion and transom windows. Double 3-panel doors with overlight in flush moulded surround with broad shallow-curved hood with wings on big corbel brackets. The frieze below the cornice formerly was lettered with name of bank. Upper floors are brick with ashlar dressings: surrounds with apron panels to first floor windows, the sills linked by sill course, raised band between floors and flush sill band to second floor, deep frieze and big modillion cornice with balustraded 5-bay parapet. Four-pane sashes, smaller to upper floor, and 3 curved-headed dormers with 4-pane sashes.
Rear is red brick with crosswing to left.
Interior altered but retaining elements of 1904. Inner lobby has hardwood half-glazed screen with half-glazed panelled door and overlight to stair hall. Moulded hall cornice, stairs with turned newels, turned balusters and ramped rail, one long flight, half-turn to landing and shorter flight to upper floor with fluted newels and closed string. Five-panel doors to first floor.
Banking hall has 2 Ionic columns to centre with answering pilasters on each side wall and one on front and one on rear wall. Panelled ceiling with moulded cornices.
Included as a substantial Edwardian bank building prominently set at the head of Queen Street.
Other nearby listed buildings