This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8596 / 51°51'34"N
Longitude: -4.2972 / 4°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 241906
OS Northings: 220388
OS Grid: SN419203
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T4R5
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.GJM8
Entry Name: The Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82183
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the NE end of The Esplanade.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House, part of former school, 1846-7, by F E H Fowler, built for Sir Thomas Powell's Charity School. The school was endowed in 1729 to give instruction to 6 poor boys. It is uncertain when a first schoolroom was built, classes were held in Lammas Street chapel in the earlier C19, but by 1846 there was a small schoolroom below the Parade, replaced by the present building. There were 15 free-place scholars and 34 paying scholars in the new building. In 1857 the school was merged with the Grammar School, as the Endowed Schools, and the school remained here until new premises were built above Richmond Terrace in 1883-4. Altered to 4 houses probably after 1884, as fenestration looks of that date.
Former school building now divided into 4 dwellings. Two storeys and basement, 6 bays overall, with outer bays slightly projected with low-pitched hipped eaves roofs on deep brackets. Two brick ridge stacks with 10 terracotta chimney pots. Unpainted render with rubble stone basement, ashlar plinth and surrounds to ground floor openings. Outer bays, Nos 1 and 4 have pair of first floor 2-pane horned sash windows, and ground floor left has 4-paned sash window in minimal pedimented ashlar surround. Ground floor right, entrance to No 4, has broad ashlar pedimented doorway with similar minimal mouldings to window of No 1, C20 door with sidelights up broad flight of steps. Entrance to No 1 is in windowless left side wall. Pilastered pedimented ashlar surround to C20 door.
Central section, Nos 2 and 3 has sill band to ground floor interrupted in centre for 2 ashlar framed moulded shouldered doorways up flight of steps, flanked by 4-pane horned sash window in ashlar moulded shouldered surround. Plain 4-pane sashes above each window, C20 doors, replaced since 1981. E end wall of No 4 has large ashlar triple window, long lights with arched heads, impost and key blocks, the sidelights narrow. E end wall and N rear elevation have arched cellar entrances, originally with a door and small side light under single semi-circular brick low arch, surviving as original to No 1 and No 4 (on E end wall).
Included for its historic interest as a former school, reworked as a block of houses retaining some late C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings