This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8591 / 51°51'32"N
Longitude: -4.2982 / 4°17'53"W
OS Eastings: 241836
OS Northings: 220327
OS Grid: SN418203
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T4HP
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.GJ2P
Entry Name: No 3, including front garden wall, railings, gate and back garden wall
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82186
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on corner of The Esplanade and Penuel Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
End-terrace house, part of matching pair of terraces Nos 1-4 and 5-8 The Esplanade, built from 1879, the date on deeds to No 4. Three newly built houses called 1-3 East Parade were advertised in 1879, and in 1881 Mr Hutchings the town surveyor said to a council meeting that he had drawn out plans for Mr Ellis the contractor for new houses on the Parade, but merely to help them get the plans passed, he had not supervised the building.
The deeds of No 4 are between Holmes Stead of Llanelli solicitor and Mrs E.A. Jones, conveyance dated 17/10/1879, the land having been part of the Furnace estate, town fields called Parc-y-shop or Parade Field.
The intersecting oval railings with matching gates were made by Thomas & Clement of Llanelli except for the last on Nos 8-9, similar but by T. Jones of Carmarthen. No 4 occupied by J. R. Davies 1926.
End terrace house, painted stucco with low-pitched slate roof and red brick chimney stack to left. Deep eaves with paired deep brackets interrupted by window heads. Each house of 2 bays, 2 storeys. First floor has drip course stepping over windows, sill band, tripartite 2-2-2-pane sash window to left, and 2-pane hornless sash to right. On ground floor canted bay window to left with 2-2-2-pane horned sashes, (here replaced with simpler detail) with thin raised piers with console brackets flanking each window, banded frieze and deep cornice, all broken forward over piers. To right doorcase with arched panels to piers, console brackets and cornice. Four-panel door and rectangular overlight. Steep flight of steps down to pavement. Rear wing in painted roughcast along Penuel Street, and low rubble stone garden wall running N beyond.
Low front garden wall of dressed stone and with cast iron coping and cast iron railings of interlocking ovals, with finials. Cast-iron baluster-type gate posts with ball finials and gate similar to railings but with pattern break at lock rail.
Top three steps up to door are marble paved. Matching iron railings stepped up between gardens of No 3 and No 4.
Original detail in most rooms: panelled doors, plaster cornices, fireplaces with console brackets to shelf and cast-iron grates. Dog-leg stairs with turned balusters, moulded tread ends, heavy turned newels with finials, and panelling below lower flight. Chimney recess and wooden cupboards in back kitchen.
Included as part of an unusually architectural later C19 pair of terraces, characterising the architecturally ambitious expansion of the town in the later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings