This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8558 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3048 / 4°18'17"W
OS Eastings: 241365
OS Northings: 219983
OS Grid: SN413199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8VQ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BMK5
Entry Name: Section of former gaol wall
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82199
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Situated along N side of County Hall.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of surrounding wall to former Carmarthen Gaol built 1789-92 by John Nash, which was altered in the C19 and demolished in 1938 for the new County Hall. An aerial photograph shows the W gaol wall as now behind the castle gatehouse and also walls around to the S and SE, to the entrance gatehouse facing down Spilman Street, all now gone. However this NE wall which ran from the gatehouse to the castle motte is not visible, presumably as it backed onto the row of buildings shown in the photograph running W from the Gaol entrance. A further section W of the County Hall also survived. Listed seperately.
Tall rubble stone wall running from edge of the castle mound to entrance to County Hall car park from Spilman Street.
Included for historic interest as a part of the enclosure of the former Carmarthen gaol and for group value with County Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings