This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8608 / 51°51'38"N
Longitude: -4.3169 / 4°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 240555
OS Northings: 220557
OS Grid: SN405205
Mapcode National: GBR DF.SZVT
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.4H6D
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82201
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in own grounds set back from and easily visible from the road on Limegrove Avenue.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial suburban house built in 1890 by George Morgan & Son for Henry Brunel White, solicitor and mayor 1894-7, who lived there until his death in 1941. From 1942 owned by the Diocesan High School for Girls, then sold to Trinity College as a student hostel. In 2002 a residential home for the elderly. There were 2 large ornate brick chimney stacks, a conservatory to the right of the house, (now lost) and extensive grounds including kitchen garden and tennis court, now developed for housing.
House is set on a terraced front lawn.
Large detached house of red brick with painted Bath stone details. Slate deep-eaved hipped roof over deep painted eaves band and cornice. Two storeys and attic, 3 bays. All windows are plate-glass sashes with painted Bath stone heads, brick jambs or mullions, all with rounded moulding, and painted sills. Three brick slate-roofed gabled dormers. On first floor, central sash window and outer tripartite mullion windows. Stepped brick course between windows at window head level. On ground floor big semi-circular bay windows with painted stone cornices and brick parapets, each of 4 sash windows. Central doorway with simple brick piers with stone bases and large brackets to flat corniced hood. Six-panelled door with brass knocker and round central doorknob, and overlight with 2 arched lights.
Left side has C20 lean-to garage to left with hipped slate roof. Two bays to right have eaves similar to front elevation, and 2 large sash windows on first floor. Lower rear section with smaller sashes on first and second floors with brick voussoirs and without eaves cornice.
Right side has 2 bays to left of 2 storeys with eaves and windows similar to front; rear section of one storey and 2 bays.
Not inspected: plans show central hall passage with dining-room to left, drawing-room to right, morning room to rear right and kitchen to rear left.
Included as a substantial late Victorian suburban house, by a prominent local architect.
Other nearby listed buildings