This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8569 / 51°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.3049 / 4°18'17"W
OS Eastings: 241362
OS Northings: 220102
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8T7
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLHC
Entry Name: The Post Office (left hand building)
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82204
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated approximately 10m NE of Bank Lane.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Post Office, 1906-7, by J. Rutherford of the Office of Works, Hayward & Wooster of Bath, contractors. Contract price £6,287. Another source says design was by F. W. Le Feuve, ''HM chief assistant borough surveyor for S. Wales''.
Old photographs show the Post Office originally housed in No 9 King Street, a fine 3 storey town house of 1808 with Ionic porch and ground floor arched windows in arched recesses. This was the house of David Morris MP, sold to the Post Office in 1865 after his death, and rebuilt in 1954 as the Post Office annexe.
Post Office, Bath stone ashlar facade with slate roof, parapet and ornate cornice. Three storeys, 5-bays, Edwardian Baroque style. Cornice has modillions, an egg and dart decorated course and acanthus roundel at either end. Second floor windows have moulded stone surrounds to 9-pane horned sashes. First floor 12-pane horned sashes in moulded, shouldered surrounds with big triple keystones extending up into bases of open curved pediments. Upper floor windows have moulded sills. First floor band with POST OFFICE inscribed, over the large keystones of the ground floor openings. Four 12-pane sash windows and door in second bay from left, all in bolection-moulded surrounds with triple keystones. Windows have an apron panel below the sills. Door is beneath a 6-pane fixed overlight, and has a granite step. The second bay from right has a brass post box set into the wall below window. The right hand window was a door in old photographs, with stone open pediment on scroll consoles to doorcase, and letter box was in middle window.
Ground floor altered.
Included as substantial Edwardian public building with strongly articulated facade in early C18 style.
Other nearby listed buildings