This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8571 / 51°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.3046 / 4°18'16"W
OS Eastings: 241387
OS Northings: 220128
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T2YK
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLP5
Entry Name: The Probate Office
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82205
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated roughly midway along street set back from adjoining houses.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Probate Office, dated 1879, by G. A. Hutchings, Carmarthen Town Surveyor, D. M. Williams contractor. WD Jenkins designed alterations in 1905.
Probate Office, rubble stone with Bath stone dressings and slate roof with coped gables, and chimney to left. Close eaves. Brown rubble stone in irregular courses with Bath stone quoins, flush rusticated window surrounds and first floor relieving arches. Moulded string over ground floor ashlar broad band carried down to just below window and door heads, with lower string course stepped over heads as hoodmoulds. Triple plate glass sashes with stone mullions to ground and first floor left and centre bays, door in chamfered surround to ground floor right, the hoodmould stepped up over VR 1879 plaque, and 2-light window to first floor above. First floor windows have ashlar relieving arches. Second floor has paired smaller sashes with shouldered heads and mullions.
Double panelled doors and rectangular overlight. Ventilation grates in plinth and at ground floor sill level.
Left hand return is cement rendered.
Rubble stone rear of 3 storeys with close eaves, all but one modern windows, 4-panel door to left. Two-storey wing to right with some original doors and windows and 3 small brick lean-to additions, previously toilets and storerooms.
Tall inner door is half-glazed with side-lights, top-lights and marginal glazing bars. Depressed arch to hallway with impost blocks and scrolled leaf capitals. Moulded plaster ceiling margins and cornice. Stairs with scrolled tread ends, straight balusters and simple newels. False ceilings conceal original ceilings with plaster cornices. Moulded skirting boards throughout. Fireplaces removed. Some doorways and windows have chamfered and stopped surrounds, and on 2nd floor some of doors have simply decorated uprights above. In rear wing, wills room on ground floor has 5 brick-arched bays and flagstone floor.
Included as a Victorian public building of character, minimally Gothic, important in townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings