This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8579 / 51°51'28"N
Longitude: -4.3013 / 4°18'4"W
OS Eastings: 241619
OS Northings: 220210
OS Grid: SN416202
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T3RS
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.DKGK
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82206
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in curve of street opposite SE entrance to St Peter's Church.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Church Street
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Vicarage to St Peter's church, 1855-6 by R. K. Penson. Tenders were sought for a new vicarage in 1855, the grounds were extended and laid out at the expense of Rev. Latimer Jones in the 1860s.
Vicarage, snecked rubble stone of varied colours with slate eaves roofs and altered rendered chimneys. Two storeys, Domestic Gothic style. Quoins covered in C20 grey cement. W front has projecting gable to right paired with pyramid roofed storeyed porch, and main range runs N with rendered C20 ridge stack. Windows are small sashes with timber mullions, in red brick cambered-headed surrounds with flush stone sills. Gable to right has first floor 3-light, and pyramid roofed part has first floor single narrow light and ground floor pointed ashlar doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Main range has eaves-breaking 2-light window under half-hipped gable to left, over bay window in angle, and has ground floor 2-light to left. Bay window, possibly late C19, has sash windows, 4-light to W, 2-light to N and slate roof, hipped at NW. N end of main range has 2-light first floor window set to right and gabled one-bay 2-storey porch projection to left, with door in return and 12-pane window each floor in N gable.
A parallel rear range projects further N with C20 stack on far side of ridge and 3-light window each floor to N end.
Garden wall contemporary with the house attached at right corner of entrance elevation. Rubble stone with chamfered brick arched doorway in higher section adjoining house.
Included as a large mid C19 vicarage in simplified Gothic style, with good surviving exterior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings