This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3058 / 4°18'20"W
OS Eastings: 241296
OS Northings: 219966
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8M3
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BM19
Entry Name: Wall of former gaol W of County Hall
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82212
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Situated around W side of County Hall car park
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Castle Hill
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of surrounding wall to former Carmarthen Gaol built 1789-92 by John Nash, altered in the C19 and demolished in 1938 for the new County Hall. Aerial photographs show the wall as now behind the castle gatehouse running N but also walls around S and SE to the gatehouse facing down Spilman Street, all now gone.
The section behind the medieval castle gatehouse may contain parts of the pre C15 gatehouse. A further section to N of County Hall also survives (listed separately).
Tall length of rubble stone retaining wall to W side of County Hall, set within former Carmarthen Castle curtain wall. Curved angles to either end. Cement coping. Taller section to centre with roundel blocked in rubble, and smaller roundel beneath with red brick dressings, blocked in brick. Pedestrian door with red brick dressings and concrete lintel and C20 boarded door. To lower section, far right of this, is cambered red brick head to blocked opening.
Included as surviving element of Nash's Carmarthen Gaol and for group value with Carmarthen Castle and County Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings