This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4877 / 51°29'15"N
Longitude: -3.2686 / 3°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 312014
OS Northings: 177289
OS Grid: ST120772
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KGK4
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.9VCX
Entry Name: Gardens House
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82230
Building Class: Education
Location: One of the associated structures in the gardens of St Fagans Castle and part of the Museum of Welsh Life. The house is sited to the north of the formal gardens.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Built-Up Area: St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in c1865 as the Head Gardener's house for St. Fagans Castle and thus one of the 1860s improvements to the gardens by the Plymouth Estate. It was probably designed by W P James of Cardiff who was working at the house at the time, where he provided more characteristic red brick chimneys. It appears to have been built as two joined houses, presumably for the Head and Second Gardeners; the wing has a lower status treatment without the stone window surrounds. Previously the site had been that of the Rectory, but the site was purchased in 1859 and the house demolished in 1860 and a new one built in Greenwood Lane (qv). Gardens House is now used as offices by the Museum of Welsh Life.
Rendered and painted, probably over local rubblestone, dressed window surrounds, Welsh slate roof. Two storeys, T-shaped with additional wing to the cross of the T. The main house has a porch in the angle facing the garden, hipped slate roof over timber arcade and single window. Two small windows above, 3-light window on the ground floor of the gable to the left, blind above; smaller windows on either floor to the right. North return has a window below and one in a gablet above. Wing with glazed door, and two below and three above windows of different sizes. This wing does not have dressed window surrounds. Street elevation with windows as before. The wing has a hipped roof. Five red brick stacks with tall diamond set shafts; all paired except the centre one which is tripled.
Interior not inspected at resurvey.
Included as one of the structures associated with the gardens and estate of St Fagans Castle and as one of the group of historic estate buildings in the centre of St Fagans village.
Other nearby listed buildings