This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8276 / 51°49'39"N
Longitude: -4.1739 / 4°10'25"W
OS Eastings: 250291
OS Northings: 216569
OS Grid: SN502165
Mapcode National: GBR DM.W5B3
Mapcode Global: VH3LR.LBT8
Entry Name: Churchyard walls, including lychgate and fold, at Llanddarog church
Listing Date: 12 December 2003
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 82274
Location: In the centre of the village on the N side of the B4310.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The wall incorporates material from the older church on the site but the entrances date from the rebuilding of the church in 1860 and are shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey (which does not show the fold).
The churchyard wall is approximately round in plan, of rubble stone up to 2m high, with cock-and-hen coping. Towards the S end of the churchyard it acts as a retaining wall. The main entrance is the lychgate on the W side. It is of rubble stone with dressed quoins, an elliptical arch of roughcast over brick, and ivy-clad gabled slate roof. It has double wrought-iron gates. Similar gates are to the NW entrance. The fold at the S end is circular with a full-height opening in the S side. Set into the wall is a Victorian letter box, cast by WT Allen & Co of London, presented by the Post Office in 1987.
Listed as a well-detailed lychgate and for group value with the church.
Other nearby listed buildings