This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8201 / 51°49'12"N
Longitude: -4.1846 / 4°11'4"W
OS Eastings: 249523
OS Northings: 215749
OS Grid: SN495157
Mapcode National: GBR DM.WGPM
Mapcode Global: VH3LR.FJ33
Entry Name: Llethr Llestri
Listing Date: 12 December 2003
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 82277
Location: Approximately 1.1km SW of Llanddarog, in its own grounds and reached by private road on the SE side of a minor road between Llanddarog and Cwmisfael.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in the late C18 or early C19, perhaps by Henry Lavallin Puxley (d 1828). The house is first mentioned in 1833 and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. An earlier farmhouse was subsequently converted to a cow house. Windows and the front door were renewed c1995.
A double-pile house of 2 storeys and attic of roughcast walls and slate roof with roughcast end stacks. The rear pile is deeper than the front pile. The 3-bay front has a slightly advanced central bay and central entrance in a simple portico on round columns, and a replaced half-glazed door. Windows are 12-pane horned sashes, and include a round-headed small-pane sash window above the doorway. Set back on the L side of the front pile is a lean-to garage converted from a C19 conservatory. To its L the gable end of the rear pile has three 4-pane horned sashes in the lower storey, 2 similar windows to the middle storey and a top-hung casement in the attic. The rubble-stone rear has a central round-headed stair light with small-pane sash window. Immediately to its R is a 12-pane sash window in the lower landing and 6-pane sash window to the upper landing of a service stair. In the lower storey are 2 doorways with replaced doors, and 3 other former doorways converted to 6-pane horned sash windows. Upper R and L are tripartite sash windows. The R gable end, facing the farm buildings, has 12-pane sash windows offset to the R in the front pile (of which the lower-storey window was formerly pointed with Gothic glazing bars) and blocked attic window offset to the L. In the rear pile are 12-pane sash window R and L in the lower storey, and to the L in the middle storey. The attic has a top-hung casement offset to the L and a blocked corresponding window offset to the R.
The house is centrally planned with a long entrance hall incorporating a neo-classical elliptical arch on fluted pilasters. The main open-well stair has moulded tread ends and wreathed handrail. To its L, reached through a doorway from the entrance hall, is the simpler dog-leg service stair.
Listed as an early C19 country house retaining original character, and as part of a strong group with the earlier house and farm buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings