This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6893 / 51°41'21"N
Longitude: -3.7389 / 3°44'20"W
OS Eastings: 279894
OS Northings: 200378
OS Grid: SN798003
Mapcode National: GBR H5.4XYQ
Mapcode Global: VH5GH.4SQW
Entry Name: Twrch Brook culvert and overflow sluice on the Neath Canal
Listing Date: 12 December 2003
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 82289
Building Class: Transport
Location: At the NE end of Clyne Upper Lock on the Neath Canal just W of Cyd Terrace.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Community: Clyne and Melincourt (Y Clun a Melin-cwrt)
Community: Clyne and Melincourt
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Small late C18 culvert, with overflow sluice, taking the Twrch Brook under the B4434 and the Neath Canal. The canal was originally planned from Pontneddfechan to Neath and was started in 1791 with Thomas Dadford Junior as General Surveyor. Thomas Sheasby replaced him in mid 1792 and the Neath Canal was completed in 1795. By 1799 the canal had been extended to the Giant's Grave near Briton Ferry.
Rubble stone low tunnel with segmental arch and sluice opening downstream under high rubble stone embanking wall. Arch has thin stone voussoirs, some now eroded, with square sluice outlet above with large stone lintel. Walling is of squared stone laid in courses with no parapet. Canal side has sluice control mechanism with wooden frame and metal gate. Upstream side on E side of road is much lower with small segmental arch and C20 low wall and white painted railings.
Included for its special historic interest as a substantial masonry feature on an important late C18 canal.