This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7145 / 51°42'52"N
Longitude: -3.8456 / 3°50'44"W
OS Eastings: 272591
OS Northings: 203360
OS Grid: SN725033
Mapcode National: GBR H1.31G7
Mapcode Global: VH4JZ.95BJ
Entry Name: Memorial drinking fountain and railings
Listing Date: 16 December 2003
Last Amended: 16 December 2003
Source ID: 82292
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Near the centre of The Triangle in a prominent position in Alltwen.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Pontardawe
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Granite later C19 drinking fountain erected 1895 in memory of Howel Gwyn Esq. of Dyffryn (d 1888), the main Victorian benefactor of Neath.
Gothic drinking fountain in grey and pink granite. Square plan. Two-step plinth, base with chamfered top, then next step with deep chamfer, cornice moulding above under fountain itself which has pink granite face with arched recess over moulded half-bowl projections to front and rear, framed in angle columns of grey granite carrying large spire-type finial. Left and right faces in pink granite with wording on left
'This fountain was erected by the inhabitants of Alltwen and district in memory of the late Howel Gwyn Esq JP DL Dyffryn Neath Sept 4th 1895' and 'Adailadwyd y ffynonell Hon can breswylwyr Alltwen a'r Gymmydocaeth er cof am y dwieddar Howel Gwyn Yswr JP DL Dyffryn Neath Sept 4th 1895' on right.
Heavy plain gables each face around base of spire, which is four sided, then moulded pink granite string course, above which spire is octagonal with top bronze ring and socket (possibly for missing finial).
Square enclosure of spearhead iron rails with top and bottom rails, larger similar stanchions.
Included for its special historic interest as a well designed Victorian drinking fountain in memory of a eminent politician within the Neath area.
Other nearby listed buildings