This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6947 / 51°41'40"N
Longitude: -3.8973 / 3°53'50"W
OS Eastings: 268960
OS Northings: 201253
OS Grid: SN689012
Mapcode National: GBR GZ.M63X
Mapcode Global: VH4JY.DNHQ
Entry Name: Piers and railings at Calfaria Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 15 December 2003
Last Amended: 15 December 2003
Source ID: 82317
Location: Situated near to centre of Clydach in front of Capel Calfaria approximately 50m E of the bridge over the Lower Clydach River
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Enclosing railings to lawned forecourt to Calfaria Baptist chapel built 1868 by the Rev. H. Thomas. Railings are similar but slightly different to those in front of later C19 manse to right, so may be later C19 or of 1868.
Railings enclosing 2 lawns in front of chapel with low retaining walls to front and outer sides of rock-faced squared rubble with rock-faced coping stones, carrying short railings of square section with wrought spearheads and larger cast-iron finials to intermediate stanchions, supported by scrolled supports. Two narrow sandstone ashlar gatepiers in centre with corniced pyramid caps, carrying two gates with down-curved top rail, double mid-rail with circles, and similar spearhead rails and dog-bars. Wall to left is straight, that to right curved out. Outer front piers are rock-faced stone pyramid-capped, a pair to left with matching single pedestrian gate between, a single to right (actually paired with pier and rails fronting manse but not included in listing). Up each side of the centre path and along the upper end of each lawn are later railings on low rock-faced stone coping, rails round section with cast-iron finials.
Included for group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings