This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6961 / 51°41'45"N
Longitude: -3.8886 / 3°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 269569
OS Northings: 201395
OS Grid: SN695013
Mapcode National: GBR GZ.M8D6
Mapcode Global: VH4JY.KM3M
Entry Name: Statue of Sir Ludwig Mond
Listing Date: 15 December 2003
Last Amended: 15 December 2003
Source ID: 82330
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated in its own garden at the junction of Ynys-penllwch Road and Pontardawe Road.
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Statue of Sir Ludwig Mond founder of the Mond Nickel Co of 1912 by Edward Lanteri, a leading figure in British sculpture at the time as professor at the Royal College of Art, responsible for the statues on the Victoria and Albert Museum front building. The informal nature of the statue is typical of the New Sculpture movement of the late C19 and early C20.
The Mond process refined raw nickel from Canada by the nickel carbonyl process invented by Sir Ludwig Mond. The business was established in 1902 and took over the site of the Ynyspenllwch tinplate works (which stood to the SE of the main Mond buildings) by the 1920s.
Bronze statue of bearded figure in everyday dress with cane, long coat and broad-brimmed soft hat. Signed on plinth E. Lanteri 1912. Granite pedestal with bronze plaque inscribed 'Ludwig Mond F.R.S. L L. D Born March 7th 1839 Died December 11th 1909'. Pedestal has plinth with coved top and stands on two-step base, the top step chamfered.
Included for its special interest as a fine piece of public statuary and for industrial historical reasons.
Other nearby listed buildings