This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6965 / 51°41'47"N
Longitude: -3.8806 / 3°52'50"W
OS Eastings: 270124
OS Northings: 201422
OS Grid: SN701014
Mapcode National: GBR GZ.MBHC
Mapcode Global: VH4JY.PMCB
Entry Name: Manor Park Country House
Listing Date: 15 December 2003
Last Amended: 15 December 2003
Source ID: 82331
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the SE side of Clydach in the centre of Coedgwilym Park.
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Former Ynyspenllwch mansion, probably earlier C19 altered in later C19 by addition of Italianate tower and probably some remodelling of the interior, this latter work probably by J.B.Wilson of Swansea. Ynyspenllwch was an industrial site from the C16, with a forge called 'newly built' in 1647. A lease of the ironworks from Herbert Evans of Gnoll to RT Ford in 1661 does not mention a capital house. By 1741 John Miers of Cannon St, London had bought into the company and he introduced tinplate manufacture, the first rolling mill in the Swansea valley. The Miers family built the house at Ynyspenllwch, John Miers was followed by his sons Henry (died before 1780) and John Nathaniel (died 1787) and then by John Nathaniel Miers II (died 1814). Miers bought the works site from the Gnoll estate in 1801. When John Nathaniel II died in 1814 leaving an 11 year old son Richard Hill Miers (1803-55), the works closed, the equipment being sold in 1817. The Miers retained ownership and the works were re-opened leased from 1825 to W. Llewellyn, then from 1859 to Henry Strick his son-in-law, and from 1865-71 to the Ynyspenllwch Tinplate Co. The industry faltered in the later C19 and the works finally closed by 1920. The Miers family owned Ynyspenllwch until 1914, Richard Hanbury Miers (died 1870), then Henry Nathaniel Miers (1848-1926) who sold the estate. By 1926 the house was St Joseph's Convent School. In use for receptions and dinners, with golf-course in grounds 2003.
Villa, painted stucco with concrete-tiles to hipped deep-eaved roofs and stuccoed chimneys, several removed. Two storeys, classical style with narrow 3-bay pedimented centre and broad one-bay wings to S front. Roofs have flat eaves but brackets under centre pediment. Windows are small-paned and in raised moulded surrounds. Stone plinth, hornless 12-pane sash windows with stone sills, stucco band and sill course between windows, the space between with band of sunk panels. Giant pilasters to outer angles. Centre projects slightly with three first floor sashes over ground floor door and flanking sash windows in large altered portico of which the four white stone Ionic columns are original though with much-damaged capitals, but entablature and cornice replaced by C20 boxing. Stone steps up, stone flags within, door is C20 with blank overlight, windows have plaster sunk panel below. Sides each have sash above and longer sash below, the ground floor architraves with cornices and continued down to ground framing a sunk panel below each window. Ground floor walling is rusticated. Chimneys remain behind hips each side but two on front ridge have gone.
Large C20 addition to right.
Left side is five-bay with Italianate porch tower in second bay from right. Right bay is similar to front with sash each floor, and range to left of tower is similar, 3-window, with centre ground floor opening altered to broad door in C20 conservatory and an additional upper window placed adjoining tower. Tower has 3 floors, ground floor has arched doorway to S, 12-pane sash W, first floor has 12-pane sash W and top has timber cornice aligned with main eaves and plain cambered headed 12-pane window each side under bracketed pyramid roof. One C20 dormer. To left is plain service range of two two-storey, two-window sections, the first with hipped roof facing W and hoodmoulds to windows, the second hipped to N. Stone plinth original, glazing mostly modern.
Entrance hall with mid C19 marble fireplace on E wall, egg-and-dart moulding to cornice, fluted centre ceiling rose in big gilded plaster circle with bay-leaf decoration. Six-panel doors. Double doors (replaced in C20) open into large square stair hall with open-well timber stair with iron balustrade, thin ramped rail scrolled at foot and scrolled tread ends. Stair hall has later C19 panelled boarded ceiling with diagonal boarding in panels, around circular rooflight. Similar landing rail, full width on S and set in two elliptical arched openings on W Front room to SE not inspected, front room to SW has cornice with rosettes but N wall formerly with fireplace has been opened out to NW room beyond. Rear NE room has c1900 embossed ceiling decoration and cornice with cherubs.
Included for its architectual interest as a substantial Italianate villa typical of houses built with industrial wealth, but now rare in the Swansea valley.
Other nearby listed buildings