This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.857 / 51°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.2423 / 4°14'32"W
OS Eastings: 245673
OS Northings: 219975
OS Grid: SN456199
Mapcode National: GBR DK.T0D1
Mapcode Global: VH3LJ.FL39
Entry Name: Penddaulwyn Fawr, including attached farm building
Listing Date: 16 January 2004
Last Amended: 16 January 2004
Source ID: 82394
Location: Approximately 2.6km E of the parish church, reached by farm road on the S side of the B4300.
Community: Llangunnor (Llangynnwr)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
An early C19 farmstead shown on the 1841 Tithe map. The original cow house has survived, with late C19 insertion of pigeon holes, but the house was rebuilt in the late C19 and is shown in its present form on the 1906 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey 2-window house of whitened rubble stone and slate roof with brick stacks (the R-hand rebuilt). Openings have brick segmental heads. The central entrance has a boarded door in a half-glazed lean-to porch. Wooden cross windows under cambered heads incorporate casements. An added lean-to is against the L gable end. The rear has an outshut incorporating a dairy on the R side, with mid C20 windows on the L side.
The earlier lofted farm range is against the R (downhill) gable end, and is limewashed rubble with slate roof. Openings have wooden lintels. At the L end, adjacent to the house, is a cross-passage doorway, to the R of which are stone and brick steps to a loft doorway beneath the eaves. Further R are 3 cow-shed doorways with split boarded doors, and 2 shuttered loft openings beneath the eaves. The downhill gable end has a loft doorway, above which are ledges and pigeon holes in brick surrounds. The rear lean-to has an asbestos-cement roof.
The house has a slate floor to the entrance hall, leading to a close-string staircase. The R-hand room has a fireplace with its lintel removed, flanked by cupboard recesses. In the dairy are slate troughs.
In the cow house, the 6-bay collar-beam roof has iron bolts and is a C19 replacement of the original roof, perhaps when the pigeon holes were added. It retains stalls for horses, indicating that it was latterly used as a stables.
Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved early C19 farmstead retaining original character.
Other nearby listed buildings