This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.973 / 52°58'22"N
Longitude: -3.4065 / 3°24'23"W
OS Eastings: 305645
OS Northings: 342666
OS Grid: SJ056426
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.JM0W
Mapcode Global: WH780.NJ1N
Entry Name: Hafod y calch
Listing Date: 28 January 2004
Last Amended: 28 January 2004
Source ID: 82408
Location: Located along a track which runs E off a lane between Cynwyd and Melin Rug, and 1.3km S of Pont Melin Rug. Situated in a lowland position close to the River Dee.
Locality: Plas Ucha
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Estate farmhouse, probably early C19 and shown on the tithe map of 1838. It was enlarged to the rear by 1891, the extension probably forming a secondary dwelling. Sold by the Rug Estate in the later C20.
Two-storey 3-window farmhouse with rear wing, constructed of coursed dressed limestone, under a slate roof with wide boarded eaves. Stone end stacks to main range, external to N; further stack to original end of wing. Large stone wedge lintels over window and door openings. The front faces E with central entrance reached by stone steps; panelled door with 3-pane overlight. Flanking 12-pane hornless sashes with small stone sills. Three similar windows to 1st floor. The S gable has a small window offset to L lighting an attic room. To the rear of the house, in the angle with the wing, is a boarded door with 3-pane overlight. The S side of the wing has a large-pane casement window with substantial stone lintel, to each storey. To the N, the rear is constructed of rubble stone, with catslide lean-tos against main range and wing. N end of former has a window to each storey, a 2-light casement over a shallow 3-light casement; 2 skylights to roof pitch. N side of wing has a recessed doorway to L under a stone lintel, with small 2-light casement above. To the R is a wide gable over a 9-pane dormer window; 2-light casement below. Small single-unit service range adjoining S end of main range, rendered under a slate roof with brick corner stack.
The 2-storey 4-window secondary dwelling was added to the rear (W) of the wing and faces S. It is constructed of random stone, the roofline continuous with the wing; lateral stone stack to L end of front. Stone lintels over openings; large-pane wooden casement windows. Boarded door with 3-pane overlight to L of centre; 9-pane window to L, 12-pane window to R, no opening to far R. Four x 9-pane windows aligned to upper storey. Catslide lean-to to rear with 3-light casement to L, and boarded door R of centre; skylight to roof pitch. No catslide to R-hand bay, which has 9-pane window to ground floor and casement above, offset to R.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as an early C19 estate farmhouse, well-built and in a traditional style, retaining its character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings