This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7711 / 52°46'16"N
Longitude: -3.2083 / 3°12'29"W
OS Eastings: 318578
OS Northings: 319968
OS Grid: SJ185199
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.YF4X
Mapcode Global: WH792.PLFX
Entry Name: Domen Gastell Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 January 2004
Last Amended: 28 January 2004
Source ID: 82422
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At west side of a minor road, about 100 m south from the B4383 opposite The Mount Motte and Bailey.
Locality: Domen Gastell
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A Regency front range added to an older timber-framed house, itself of at least two periods as the framing has evidently been heightened and there are also marks of heightening in the brickwork rear gable. The farmhouse is noted in the Tithe Survey (1839) as owned and occupied by John and Eleanor Evans, a 'house, outbuilding, fold, garden etc' with about 189 acres (76.55 hectares). It is now part of the Bodynfoel estate.
Two-storey three-window rendered and white-painted front range with a slate roof of half-pyramid form, the roof rising to a large central chimney stack on the back wall. Aligned upper and lower 12-pane sash windows at front. Heavily constructed flat roofed open fronted and sided porch with a six-panel front door beneath a broad rectangular overlight.
Blind window aligned over a sash window at each side.
The rear wing is half-timbered on the south side. Two upper casement windows and a single lower window of three lights in small panes, with iron glazing bars. Large glazed room added. Catslide roofed stone extension at the north side, with two loft hatches aligned above windows.
Interior not seen.
A farmhouse retaining considerable timber framing, to which a fine front block in Regency style has been added.
Other nearby listed buildings