History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llanfechain Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfechain, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7766 / 52°46'35"N

Longitude: -3.2054 / 3°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 318781

OS Northings: 320573

OS Grid: SJ187205

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.Y1W2

Mapcode Global: WH792.QGSQ

Entry Name: Llanfechain Bridge

Listing Date: 28 January 2004

Last Amended: 28 January 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82423

Building Class: Transport

Location: Over the River Cain at the north side of the village of Llanfechain.

County: Powys

Community: Llanfechain

Community: Llanfechain

Locality: Llanfechain village

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain

History

A County Bridge, built before 1839 (shown on Tithe Map). It was originally a single arch bridge, but was rebuilt with a smaller secondary arch to the north of the original one, a cutwater, and a new parapet of the common form found on local County bridges, following severe damage in 1848.

Exterior

A two arch bridge, the main span of about 10 m arched in stone, the smaller span of about 4 m to the north arched in red brick. Uncoursed local shaley masonry. Orthostat parapet standing on a string course, strongly turned out at all four corners. Carriageway about 6 m wide.

Reasons for Listing

A fine vernacular bridge, adopted in the early C19 as a County Bridge and sympathetically enlarged; listed also for group value with Plas Cain and the Old Talbot Inn.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Talbot Inn
    At east side of road to the north side of Llanfechain Bridge.
  • II Plas Cain
    At the north-west end of the village street of Llanfechain beside Llanfechain Bridge.
  • II Cain Villa
    At the south side of the road leaving Llanfechain to the north-east.
  • II* Church of St. Garmon
    In a circular churchyard at the centre of the village of Llanfechain. Stone churchyard wall, lychgate at south. Sundial shaft near path to church.
  • II Sundial in St Garmon's Churchyard
    Beside the path from St Garmon's Lychgate to the church.
  • II St Garmon's Church Lychgate
    At the south side of the churchyard of St Garmon, set into a rough stone wall with a simple iron gate to the left side.
  • II Old Rectory
    To south of a minor road north of the River Cain, about 200 m west of Llanfechain Bridge.
  • II Plas-yn-dinas Public House
    At right angles to the road on the sharp corner immediately to S of the churchyard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.