This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.76 / 52°45'36"N
Longitude: -3.2276 / 3°13'39"W
OS Eastings: 317258
OS Northings: 318752
OS Grid: SJ172187
Mapcode National: GBR 6W.Z2H9
Mapcode Global: WH792.DW9G
Entry Name: Talwrn Bach
Listing Date: 28 January 2004
Last Amended: 28 January 2004
Source ID: 82435
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by a short track to east of the B4383.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A late mediaeval hall-house on a flat site, converted to storeyed form and to lobby-entrance plan type with a central chimney; the alterations probably dating from 1640 (date carved on the tie-beam over the dormer window). The house appears to have been extended to the east by one bay, and has a lean-to on the north side, in brickwork.
A timber framed house exposing its external framing on the south side and to a small extent on the north side. The main wall is of plain square framing three panels high. Large timber-framed porch at the south side opposite the middle chimney. Large dormer near the left embracing two windows, with decorative curved corner braces consistent with the date 1640 which is carved on the tie beam. Dormer windows and six lower windows fitted into the original panelling. The timber framing is painted black and white. Brickwork gable walls and rear lean-to extension, also painted white.
Slate roofs (artificial slates at rear of main range); brickwork mid and end chimney stacks, unpainted. Flat-roofed dormer and modern windows at rear.
Interior not inspected. Said to retain evidence of a dais canopy, post-and panel partitioning and fireplace timber framing.
A mediaeval hall house of exceptional character with C17 adaptations, displaying its timber framing on the south side and retaining interior features of interest.
Other nearby listed buildings