This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9008 / 51°54'2"N
Longitude: -4.7071 / 4°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 213854
OS Northings: 225937
OS Grid: SN138259
Mapcode National: GBR CX.QK2D
Mapcode Global: VH2NM.CHD6
Entry Name: Old house and attached stable at Maengwyn
Listing Date: 10 February 2004
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 82457
Location: Approximately 0.7km NE of the main road junction in Efailwen, opposite the junction with a minor road to Nebo Chapel.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in the 1830s and described as a 'new house' on the 1839 Tithe map. The adjoining stable is an addition shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey, by which time an additional unit, later converted to a shop, had also been added on the NE side, to which another house was added in the C20.
A 2-storey 3-window rubble-stone house with corrugated iron roof and stone stack to the L. Openings are offset to the R. The entrance has a round-headed doorway with voussoirs and keystone, to a boarded door and blank tympanum. It is flanked by keyed segmental windows with voussoirs. Upper-storey windows are smaller and beneath the eaves. All windows have been replaced by wooden shutters for agricultural use. Attached to the L side is a lower lofted stable of rubble stone and cement-grouted slate roof. On the R side is a wide 4-centred arch with voussoirs and keystone, with double boarded doors. In the gable end is a boarded loft door in a segmental brick surround.
Attached to the R (NE) side of the house is a single-storey former shop, and then a 2-storey 3-window house, both rendered with slate roofs.
Listed as a C19 house and stable retaining strong original character in a prominent location.