This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3758 / 52°22'32"N
Longitude: -4.0762 / 4°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 258765
OS Northings: 277337
OS Grid: SN587773
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.RF08
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.9KF1
Entry Name: Aberllolwyn
Listing Date: 24 August 2007
Last Amended: 24 August 2007
Source ID: 82489
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a wooded dip S of Llanfarian, S of the A487 with drive entry opposite the village school.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Country house, possibly C18 remodelled 1878-82. Ancient site recorded in 1609, held by the Lloyds from mid C17, Erasmus Lloyd died 1688, his son Hugh was High Sheriff in 1715 and died 1732. Passed by marriage to Thomas Hughes of Hendrefelin, died 1771, whose son-in-law Edward Hughes, solicitor in Aberystwyth 1761, died in 1794. His wife lived there until her death when it passed to her niece Anna Maria Hughes of Morfa Bychan, there in 1809. An 1846 lease names John Charles Hughes of Freshford Cottage and Thomas Hughes of Northumberland. House was occupied in 1830 by Lewis Morris. Renovated 1878-1882 for MJ Tredwell, tenant, who also restored the gardens and farm buildings and built the folly tower on Llyn Eiddwen, Blaenpennal, but abandoned the house after losing an action for building costs. In 1884 and 1895 occupied by Griffith Jones and in 1926 by Dr Edward Roberts JP.
Two-storey house; L-plan; rendered; hipped slate roof of low pitch; 2 chimneys on ridge.
Three-window front faces SW. On first floor, 3 sash windows without glazing bars. On ground floor, a central splayed bay with double-leaf half-glazed doors; to each side a large window dropping down almost to ground level with central French doors flanked by long glazing. Verandah over full width which turns round R return which has a 2-storey splayed bay with sash windows without glazing bars, and French doors to ground floor centre; to R, on first floor a blind window and a sash window, on ground floor, a blind window and a door. Left return is 4 windows long on first floor. To rear of house, 2-window rear of L return, and lower 2-storey former stable block, now garage.
A substantial Victorian house with early origins retaining much of its character.
Other nearby listed buildings