This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3804 / 52°22'49"N
Longitude: -4.0777 / 4°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 258676
OS Northings: 277844
OS Grid: SN586778
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.R0NL
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.8FMK
Entry Name: Cwmcoedwig Hall
Listing Date: 24 February 2004
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 82496
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 500m N of Llanfarian war memorial down short drive.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Victorian country house dated 1870, said to have been built for James Davies, of Ffosrhydgaled, Chancery. There had been a house on the site owned by the Davies family, Morris Davies recorded in 1830, James Davies in 1844, and in 1881 Mrs Elizabeth Davies, 70, was resident with three daughters. The present owner's family acquired the property in the 1920s. One of a group of substantial Victorian houses around Aberystwyth including Bronpadarn and Glynpadarn at Llanbadarn Fawr, Abermad and Llidiardau at Llanilar.
Tall compactly-planned substantial house of 1870 in Gothic style. Snecked local stone with Bath stone dressings to openings and much yellow brick, to string courses and relieving arches. Steep pitched slate gabled roofs. Two-and-a-half storey, 3-window frontage, near square plan. Plinth with moulded brick capping beneath ground floor sills, flush yellow brick bands at window sill and head levels and heavily moulded brick eaves continued as flush band at mid-height of attic windows. Windows are horned 4-pane sashes or triple sashes in 3-light long mullioned windows, all with flat heads, chamfered and stopped surrounds and flush sills. Cambered brick relieving arches with Bath stone flush keystones. Narrow gabled centre bay projects with splayed angles to ground floor under Bath stone corbels. Door in ornate Gothic painted timber porch with five Gothic lights to front and entrance on left side. Steep hipped roof with steep centre gable with finial and pendant. Bath stone plinth, band of panels infilled with quartz rubble, then 5 openings with transoms and Gothic heads, big moulded brackets to eaves with tiny roundels to 2 outer panels and short cornices, while centre gable has big glazed quatrefoiled roundel flanked to base by tiny trefoiled roundels with glazing to spandrels. First floor has 4-pane sash, top floor has shorter similar sash breaking eaves under steep gable with moulded brick shoulders and moulded brick gable edges. Finial with pendant. To left and right, ground and first floor 3-light mullion windows and attic has eaves-breaking sash as in centre under similar but smaller gables with finials. Tall yellow brick stack to left end, stepped base and 3 detached shafts linked by stone slab coping. Right end stack removed. Cast iron rainwater goods dated 1870.
Right side has gable-end of front range slightly projected to left, 3-light window each main floor, 4-pane sash in gable and apex stepped base of removed stack. Six brick bands, moulded brick shoulders and gable verges. Two-window range to right with attic windows breaking eaves under gablets, 4-pane sashes to each floor left, 3-light window to main floors right. Ridge stack and right end stack, each of 3 shafts. Long single storey rear range hipped at end.
Left side has gable to right and big mullion and transom 3-light stair light with coloured glass to centre. Window above and windows to left have yellow brick surrounds.
Not available for inspection at time of resurvey.
Included as a substantial Victorian house of consistent Gothic character.
Other nearby listed buildings