This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3895 / 52°23'22"N
Longitude: -4.0769 / 4°4'36"W
OS Eastings: 258761
OS Northings: 278864
OS Grid: SN587788
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.QDV8
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.962J
Entry Name: Tanycastell
Listing Date: 24 February 2004
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 82513
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 400m NE of Llanychaearn church down a short drive leading NW from Pont Tanycastell.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 large farmhouse. In 1841, Catherine Jones farmed 148 acres(60 hectares), and lived here with 3 sons, one daughter and 4 servants. Marked on 1845 Tithe map. Sold in 1870 with 164 acres(66.4 hectares), by Nanteos estate to M L V Davies of Tanybwlch. In 1881, Lewis Lewis was the farmer of 200 acres(81 hectares) here, in 1926 farmed by John Corfield & Son. Sold with the Tanybwlch estate in 1936. RCAHMW recorded a most interesting Welsh inscription on a re-used fireplace beam "WE EI OEDRAN YW XX/1685" (WE HIS AGE IS 20/1685).
C19 farmhouse in rubble stone with slate gabled roofs and stone end stacks. Two-storey, 3-window main range with slightly lower 2-window service range to right. Main range has centre 6-panel timber door with rectangular traceried overlight and slate hood on slate brackets. Horned 4-pane sashes with slate sills, all with cambered heads and stone voussoirs. Service range has smaller similar 4-pane sashes 2 each floor, those above small and square. Large stone end stack. Door to right gable end, 6-panel with overlight and hood on slate brackets.
Not available for inspection at survey.
Included as a good example of a traditional C19 stone farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings