This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3882 / 52°23'17"N
Longitude: -4.0279 / 4°1'40"W
OS Eastings: 262089
OS Northings: 278626
OS Grid: SN620786
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.QLWT
Mapcode Global: VH4FL.47GH
Entry Name: Walls to walled garden at Nanteos
Listing Date: 24 February 2004
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 82521
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The wall surrounds a space of ground east of Nanteos a little over 2 acres(0.8 hectares) in area, immediately south east of the stables.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Kitchen garden wall, largely early C19. A kitchen garden is marked on the 1764 map, possibly partly walled as Jenkin Joel, labourer, was paid for taking down a garden wall in 1786. A larger walled area is indicated on the 1791 landscaping proposal and the garden to roughly this area is marked on the 1819 map. When John Edwards was agent c1814-17 letters indicate that a kitchen garden wall was about to be commenced in 1814, and there is mention of a cross-wall dividing the kitchen garden from a future flower garden beyond. John Nash designed a gardener's house to straddle an existing garden wall, not built. In July 1816, the wall was repaired by Morris Jones, mason, but there is later reference to the kitchen garden wall beginning in 1827. The walls are all indicated on the 1835 map. By the late C19 the garden contained a fountain, melon house, vinery and greenhouse. Since the 1950s, the gardens have been disused and the walls fallen into decay. Remnants of garden buildings within.
Kitchen garden wall, more than 3m high, in rubble stone with an inner face of red brick to N and W, enclosing some 2 acres(0.8 hectares) of ground. Irregular oblong shaped enclosure, with longer walls running east-west, and a curve to the NW, generally with wide slate coping. Collapsed sections to S (1996) and E (2000). Eight entrances, but all bar 3 blocked, main W entrance enlarged for tractor access in C20. Former low entrance some 10m to S of this, with flat brick head and brick dressings, blocked in rubble. NE entrance is modern with some C20 brickwork. Small pedestrian gate with cambered brick head to S with mid C19 cast- iron gate. Gate has short lower section with 5 diagonal crosses in decorative scrolls beneath double horizontal bar, and has lance-head finials. Former toilet to outer NW now very ruinous. Small privy attached to outer wall at SW angle, rubble stone with flat roof and altered door to E with red brick head and right jamb, said to be for private use of Powells.
Included as a fine example of a large walled garden of the Georgian era, and for group value with the other buildings of the Nanteos estate.
Other nearby listed buildings