This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8668 / 52°52'0"N
Longitude: -3.9143 / 3°54'51"W
OS Eastings: 271236
OS Northings: 331637
OS Grid: SH712316
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.RHN1
Mapcode Global: WH562.V67L
Entry Name: Milepost at Bronaber
Listing Date: 27 February 2004
Last Amended: 27 February 2004
Source ID: 82537
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set alongside the E side of the A470 just S of the junction in the village of Bronaber.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably mid C19 milepost. Merioneth was the last of the Welsh counties to have turnpike roads and it was at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775 that it was resolved to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes, in partnership with Caernarfonshire. By the end of the C18 most of the existing roads had been brought under the Trust under the Merioneth Turnpike Act of 1777 and the line of the modern road from Maentwrog to Dolgellau more or less follows the line of the early turnpike and was certainly in place by the time of the Tithe Map of the parish, 1849.
Cast iron milepost with a triangular profile, wider at the top with a raking head and facing panels which bear the names and distances: DOLGELLEY / 10 on the left (N) hand face and TRAWSFYNYDD / 2 on the right.
Included as a well preserved C19 milepost, one of a series along the A470.
Other nearby listed buildings