This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9096 / 52°54'34"N
Longitude: -3.8796 / 3°52'46"W
OS Eastings: 273695
OS Northings: 336341
OS Grid: SH736363
Mapcode National: GBR 61.NL32
Mapcode Global: WH55X.C4T7
Entry Name: Ty Newydd
Listing Date: 27 February 2004
Last Amended: 27 February 2004
Source ID: 82544
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a somewhat elevated position, set back from the N side of the A4212 leading E from Trawsfynydd. Lies directly SE of Glan Llafor.
Locality: Cwm Prysor
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The building is marked on the Tithe Map, though not recorded by name in the Apportionment of the parish, 1849. Probably an early C19 building which may be a dower house or 'Tyddyn Triain' or more likely servant's quarters and adjoining cowhouse. Glan Llafor, the adjacent house, is recorded as owned by Reverend David Davies and occupied by Richard Griffiths.
Two storey linear range aligned roughly N-S comprising accommodation at N end and lofted cowhouse to S; there is a single storey lean-to against the N gable. Built of coursed blockwork with large stones as quoins and lintels. Slate roof with stone coping and rectangular gable stack with dripstones and capping at N end.
The principal range faces the yard to the W, the dwelling has a central boarded door with flanking small 2-pane casement windows and similar first floor windows set under the eaves; the cowhouse has a single doorway offset to S end. The rear of the range is built into the slope and there are no openings; entrance to the lean-to is at the N end.
Listed as a scarcely altered C18 or early C19 farmstead range combining domestic and agricultural use. The range has a good regional vernacular character in the high quality coursed masonry with original openings.