This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7742 / 52°46'27"N
Longitude: -3.1576 / 3°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 322006
OS Northings: 320252
OS Grid: SJ220202
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.Y7GS
Mapcode Global: WH793.GJML
Entry Name: Cleveland House
Listing Date: 2 March 2004
Last Amended: 2 March 2004
Source ID: 82557
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At west end of the village, nearly opposite the Lion Hotel.
Community: Llansantffraid (Llansanffraid)
Locality: Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain village
Built-Up Area: Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A three-unit range in terrace form, perhaps three former houses, perhaps a combined domestic and commercial range originally; probably of early Victorian date. A building on this site in 1839 was noted in the Tithe Survey as a house and buildings owned and occupied by William Griffiths and was probably the predecessor of the present terrace.
The terrace has hoisting doors, possibly original, in the upper storeys of the left (east) side. If on the other hand it was three houses originally, the chimneys would appear also to have been altered, as they are not consistent with the surviving door positions unless the original house interiors were of very unorthodox layout.
Modern shopfront of O G Griffiths and Sons at centre.
A long range of three units in brick with stone at left side; slate hung at right side, the brick and stone painted white. Dentil cornice at front. Slate roof with tile ridge and stone chimneys (one mid, one end). Regular fenestration, with two sham windows and one 8-pane hornless sash window close to eaves; 16-pane hornless sash windows to first and ground storeys. Black-painted rubbed brickwork wedge lintels and stone sills. Panel door to left unit with simple pediment set in a slight round-headed recess in the brickwork. Door to right unit concealed within modern porch. Shopfront centrally obliterating the supposed original door position. Boarded hoisting doors in the stonework of the left gable at first and second storey level with segmental heads.
A development of early C19 houses of urban character, which have retained their superior domestic character notwithstanding conversion to commercial use.
Other nearby listed buildings