This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7712 / 52°46'16"N
Longitude: -3.1296 / 3°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 323890
OS Northings: 319884
OS Grid: SJ238198
Mapcode National: GBR 70.YG99
Mapcode Global: WH793.WLXX
Entry Name: Trederwen House
Listing Date: 2 March 2004
Last Amended: 2 March 2004
Source ID: 82588
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Reached by a track to the north of the B4392 between Waen and Trederwen.
Community: Llansantffraid (Llansanffraid)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early/mid C19. It is marked as a farmhouse with about 58 acres in 1838. The left side windows are of a type much used locally from c.1815 and common c.1830. It is thought there may formerly have been a rear (servants'?) staircase in addition to the main one in the hallway.
A Regency or early Victorian house of two storeys and three windows, but of three storeys at the rear. Local light red brickwork. The house has the locally unusual feature of a hipped tile roof; brick chimneys close to the apexes of the hips. There is a single storey span-roofed rear extension, with a brick end-chimney, probably originally for a kitchen, now principally used as a garage.
The front elevation is finely proportioned with the upper windows slightly reduced in height but touching the cornice; boxed eaves above; almost imperceptible departure from exact symmetry. The window openings have wedge stone lintels and stone sills. Hornless sash windows of 12 panes plus margin glazing. Door with rectangular overlight and panelled surround; plain square pilasters carrying a plain architrave, cornice and blocking course.
The side elevations are also in brickwork. Left side elevation with door to rear within a small conservatory; modern window to front above. Right side elevation with a window to each storey to rear, in openings with wedge stone lintels and stone sills, and with characteristic local small-pane design in three lights with diagonally crossed glazing bars in the heads of the lights. Rear of house rendered.
Symmetrical plan to the front of the house, with four-panelled doors to main rooms; stairs in hallway unusually close to the front of the house. Fine staircase with ornate brackets; coiled handrail with ivory button; pine panelling below stairs. Doorcase and window shutter panelling with pointed apexes to panels.
An exceptionally well-proportioned and well-maintained house of the Regency period including good interior joinery, late Georgian in character but with some traces of Gothick influence.
Other nearby listed buildings