This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7528 / 51°45'10"N
Longitude: -5.0568 / 5°3'24"W
OS Eastings: 189109
OS Northings: 210433
OS Grid: SM891104
Mapcode National: GBR G5.TL47
Mapcode Global: VH1RR.96JN
Entry Name: Romans Castle
Listing Date: 30 April 2004
Last Amended: 30 April 2004
Source ID: 82682
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a track S off the minor road W to Walwyn's Castle, some 1.5km W of Tiers Cross.
Community: Walwyn's Castle (Castell Gwalchmai)
Community: Walwyn's Castle
Locality: Tiers Cross
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Farmhouse, former gentry house, owned in the late C18 by William Moore, died 1796, to whom there is a memorial in the church. His wife died in 1837. The name comes from a nearby large earthwork whose name has evolved from Ramus to Romans Castle.
Farmhouse, unpainted render with close-eaved imitation-slate roof and rendered small end stacks. Two-storey, three-window range of C19 or earlier C20 horned 4-pane sashes and centre door in added gabled porch. First floor sashes are narrow. Loft window in right end wall.
Lower range to left is painted and has brick end stack, wide centre window, inserted window to right and lean-to on left end. Outside stair on rear wall, to eaves-breaking loft door with catslide roof, window to centre and door in added gabled porch to left. C20 loft window to first floor centre.
Rear of main house is painted and has gabled two-storey wing to right with rendered end stack, boarded dairy window at ground floor, and inserted door on right side wall with window above. Centre rear of house has stair window and blocked window above. Large lean-to to left with outside steps at left end to loft door.
Interior not inspected, ground floor of rear wing was dairy.
Included as a farmhouse retaining historic character, probably of later C18.
Other nearby listed buildings