This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7005 / 51°42'1"N
Longitude: -2.9031 / 2°54'11"W
OS Eastings: 337684
OS Northings: 200585
OS Grid: SO376005
Mapcode National: GBR J9.44GN
Mapcode Global: VH79V.MJM7
Entry Name: ,19,Old Market Street,Usk,Usk,,
Listing Date: 16 February 1953
Last Amended: 30 April 2004
Source ID: 82722
Location: Part of a long range with doors opening onto pavement.
Community: Usk (Brynbuga)
Built-Up Area: Usk
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Former Great House built by Roger Williams, High Sheriff of Monmouthshire, in mid C16 with stone from Usk Castle. He was taken to court by the Duke of Beaufort for this; subsequently granted manor and estate of Llangibby. Roger Williams also purchased from the Crown most of Usk Priory property after the Dissolution. Later the building was converted into a terrace of separate dwellings probably early C19 (called workmen's cottages by Bradney). Former Great Staircase removed. Cross wing (unlisted) was added later to E end of range. Stables etc thought to be sited to SW.
A barrel vaulted second floor runs throughout the building under the roof.
Part of a group of buildings converted from the Great House built by Roger Williams in C16.
Other nearby listed buildings