This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4101 / 52°24'36"N
Longitude: -3.9028 / 3°54'10"W
OS Eastings: 270668
OS Northings: 280830
OS Grid: SN706808
Mapcode National: GBR 90.P7QC
Mapcode Global: VH4FG.9PL7
Entry Name: Y Goedwig
Listing Date: 26 May 2004
Last Amended: 26 May 2004
Source ID: 82818
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in Cwmbrwyno just E of the A44 approx. 2.5 Km E of Goginan, the house set high above the lane to the mine site.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Later C19 villa possibly associated with the Cwmbrwyno lead mine to the E.
The mine was known in the C18 but not seriously exploited until the earlier C19, by two brothers named Evans before being mechanised by John Taylor & Sons c. 1850 and run profitably until 1866. Restarted 1867 under Captain John Paull of Goginan with less success. Restarted again in 1879 when the prospectus mentioned two crushing mills and 4 large water-wheels, one of 48' diameter, 5 smaller wheels. The last returns were in 1888. The house may be associated with the 1879 restart.
Detached villa, rubble stone with slate eaves roof and red brick end stacks with yellow brick quoins, each of 4 shafts. Fretted bargeboards with pendants to end walls. Sixteen-pane sash windows with slate sills and red brick heads. Centre half-glazed door with overlight and panelled pilasters, in added trellis porch. Rendered end walls.
Included as a little altered later C19 house still in the late Georgian tradition and retaining original detail. Possibly associated with the lead-mine.
Other nearby listed buildings