This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5059 / 52°30'21"N
Longitude: -3.9643 / 3°57'51"W
OS Eastings: 266771
OS Northings: 291593
OS Grid: SN667915
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.HBKQ
Mapcode Global: VH4F1.78KT
Entry Name: Gwarcwm Isaf old farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 May 2004
Last Amended: 28 May 2004
Source ID: 82822
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated on upland E of Tre Taliesin, some 2km NE of Talybont, reached by track from right-angle bend near Penysarn Farm.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 small farmhouse, possibly that shown on 1844 Tithe Map, when owned by Davies Matthew Esquire and rented by Thomas Robert. Disused since new farmhouse was built adjoining. Occupied in 1841 by Evan Jones and in 1881 by William Jones.
Small farmhouse of two storeys and 3 bays. Rubble stone with slate gabled roof, rubble stone chimney to right and red brick chimney to left. Close eaves. Facade is offset to right, first floor windows have wooden lintels at eaves, ground floor openings have flat arched heads with split stone voussoirs. Central door. All openings boarded over (2003) but had C19 sashes in 1980 photograph.
Left hand return is rubble stone with wooden-lintelled doorway to ground floor rear, and right hand return has ground floor window opening (now blocked) in stepped-in wall to rear, both openings are into rear outshut, which has low wall and one rear window.
Unavailable for inspection. In 1980 recorded as: "the front door leads into a narrow staircase-hall with wooden partitions. The parlour has axial joists and a modern fireplace. The kitchen has a transverse beam with slight chamfers and a run-out stop. The deep fireplace has a badly damaged wooden lintel: there is a brick oven and a secondary range. At the back is a lean-to dairy and scullery: the dairy has slate slabs and shallow recesses in the back wall. There is a small cross-corner fireplace (now blocked) in the scullery.".
Included as a traditional farmhouse of late Georgian type.
Other nearby listed buildings