This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5035 / 52°30'12"N
Longitude: -3.9791 / 3°58'44"W
OS Eastings: 265761
OS Northings: 291349
OS Grid: SN657913
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.H6YK
Mapcode Global: VH4F0.ZB8P
Entry Name: No.19 Pencae, and front railings
Listing Date: 28 May 2004
Last Amended: 28 May 2004
Source ID: 82827
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row at S end of village, the second house S of turn to Llangynfelyn.
Locality: Tre Taliesin
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Terraced house in row of seven Nos 14-20 shown on Tithe Map of 1844 as terrace owned by James Davies. An 1880 sale document by Morris Davies of Ffosrhydgaled to Bishop Basil Jones refers to a first lease of 1829 which may be the date of building.
Terraced house, 2 storeys, double-fronted with slate gabled roof and end stacks, rubble stone chimney slightly projecting, to left, large rendered chimney to right, shared with No 20. Limewashed rubble stone front elevation with cambered window heads and brick voussoirs to ground floor. All windows hornless sashes: square 12-pane sashes to 1st floor and longer 16-pane to ground floor. Central board door with plain rectangular overlight.
Left hand return, above No 18, is rubble stone and has horizontal roofing-slate steps following roof line.
Front garden lower than road level. Rubble stone wall with slate coping, partly replaced, slate uprights to centre gate, and matching wrought iron railings and gate: alternating tall and short uprights with inverted V-finials. Slate steps down into garden.
Included as an early C19 village house, part of an otherwise altered terrace, but this house retaining original Georgian vernacular character and detail virtually intact.
Other nearby listed buildings