This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7941 / 3°47'38"W
OS Eastings: 276915
OS Northings: 234357
OS Grid: SN769343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JHKB
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.642R
Entry Name: ,21 ,High Street,Llandovery,,,SA20 0PU
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82862
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated opposite the Williams Memorial Chapel.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House in terraced row, C18 origins, the Barley Mow inn from c1840-70. Probably the house recorded as owned by Miss Jones 1810-11. By 1836 Nos 21-9 were all owned by David Thomas (1790-1876) maltster who also owned No 5 and Nos 13-15, tenanted by John Davies. It first appears as the Barley Mow inn in 1841, last mentioned in 1868 though the landord had shop there in 1875. In 1890s owned with the other Thomas propery by D P Powell, occupied by Daniel James.
House and shop in terrace row, of 2 storeys and 3 bays slightly offset to left. Slate gabled roof without chimneys. Close eaves. Painted roughcast facade with plinth. Four-pane horned sashes to 1st floor and left hand ground floor, stone sills; central recessed broad house door. Shop front (remade in late C20 in traditional style) to right: with flanking pilasters and cornice over recessed door and shop-window.
Included as a house of single C19 character, and for group value with Nos 19 and 23 and as part of continuous C18-C19 terraced frontage.
Other nearby listed buildings