This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9949 / 51°59'41"N
Longitude: -3.8 / 3°47'59"W
OS Eastings: 276515
OS Northings: 234472
OS Grid: SN765344
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JG2R
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.24Z0
Entry Name: Chapel at Llandovery College
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82872
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated to SE of main college building, opposite entrance gate.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Chapel to Llandovery College, 1933 by W. Ellery Anderson of Cheltenham, originally of exposed stone, now clad in painted roughcast to match college buildings.
Chapel, painted roughcast with slate roofs behind parapets, and coped shouldered gables. Gothic style with lancet windows and patterned leaded glazing. String course below parapets, moulded parapet coping, E end cross finial and 2-step gabled buttresses between bays and at angles. Four-bay nave, small transepts and single bay chancel. W end has 3 stepped lancets over gabled porch with pointed arched entry. N side has 2 triple stepped lancets and 3 buttresses. Small N transept has diagonal 2-step buttresses, 5 tiny lancets set high on W and E sides. Chancel N has 3 close-set lancets and pointed door under cambered head.
Nave S side has blank first bay and 3 similar 3-light windows. S transept projects less than N transept and has a small bellcote on E shoulder with circular chimney attached. Stepped gabled diagonal buttresses and S end stepped 3-light window. Chancel S has lancets as on N, diagonal angle buttresses and stepped 5-light E window.
Interior not inspected. Has large abstract E window of 1991 by Amber Hescott and David Pearl of Swansea.
Included as an earlier C20 simplified Gothic building, of group value with the original college building.
Other nearby listed buildings