This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7947 / 3°47'40"W
OS Eastings: 276872
OS Northings: 234360
OS Grid: SN768343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JHCV
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.54QQ
Entry Name: Commerce House
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82873
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite Lloyds Bank.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house apparently built as one 5-bay range with No 9 and retaining mid C19 detail such as brackets to eaves, but possibly built for Rees Jones owner in 1836 and 1846. It was tenanted in 1836-44 by Joyce Jones, tailor's widow, then by John Price, shoemaker and remained a shoemaker's through to the 1870s. Owned from at least 1866 by John James of Penygawse (No 12) who may have been related to Rees Jones. At some point it became known as Commerce House. Occupied c1900 by Morgan Griffiths, draper, tenant also at No 12. In C20 occupied successively by photographers Messrs. Dann, Fox and Jenkins. A photograph of the exterior c1909 shows the photographer's shopfront with the bracket cornice continuous from No 9.
C19 terrace house of 3 storeys and 2 bays. Slate gabled roof with red brick chimney stack to left, apparantly shared with No.13. Deep, bracketed eaves. Painted roughcast facade. Plinth. Horned sash windows with marginal glazing to upper floors, smaller to 2nd floor. Cornice with brackets over ground floor which has recessed 6-panel door with plain rectangular overlight to right and tall window with 3 fixed panes to left.
Interior not inspected, former shop said to have had timber chimneypiece of late Georgian design.
Included as part of a large terraced house of earlier C19 origins, part of the group 9 - 15 High Street and retaining good mid C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings