This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9939 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7967 / 3°47'48"W
OS Eastings: 276735
OS Northings: 234354
OS Grid: SN767343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JGW7
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.44PS
Entry Name: HSBC Bank
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82886
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on corner SW of Memorial Fountain.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Corner bank, originally 2 houses of early C19 date, which were altered to premises for Midland Bank in 1924.
In 1836 rate books owned by the Saunders-Davies estate, occupied by John Morgan, and Henry Lloyd Harries, both attorneys. In 1846 occupied by John Morgan with W J Evans and by widow of H.Lloyd Harries. According to 1840 Robson's Directory Morgan & Evans were solicitors, still there in 1866, the other half let as house to David Rees. In 1892 the firm owned the whole premises, the former solicitors' office was rented by William Price, licensee of the adjoining Bear Inn, and the firm was in the part formerly occupied by D Rees. By 1899 W J Evans was in the original premises and Thomas Phillips, solicitor, in the other half. Sold to the Midland Bank in 1924, the present external detail seems to date from 1924.
Bank, formerly 2 houses one on corner with 2 bays facing E, canted dormer and 2 facing N, the other with 3 facing N, all now one. Slate gabled roof with canted hipped corner, rubble stone chimney with exposed breast to left of E facing section, and red brick stack on ridge between original houses. Moulded timber eaves. Painted lined stucco facade with long and short quoins to all angles. Plinth, thin moulded surrounds to all windows which are generally sashes with 6 panes to upper half and one to lower, proportion altered in larger ground floor windows. Two close-spaced bays facing E, door in canted angle bay. North facing section has 2 windows to ground floor left of chimney that marks former divide, and one to first floor left, while to right are 2 windows of smaller size and a 6-panel door with glazed upper lights to right, with 2 windows above, one over left window, one over door. Presumably the house door was originally central to this section. Bank front door in canted angle is of 6 fielded panels with brass fittings, in panelled recess with scrolled corbels supporting a pediment and above this a blank rectangular tablet.
Earlier C20 interior fittings. Panelled inner lobby with double half-glazed doors with tall side-lights of etched glass, and 4 top lights. Similar hardwood panelling on N wall to high dado and moulded frames to 2 windows. Also on E wall recess with panels each side of later door. Sidelights over panels. Bank counter is altered but with some original woodwork.
Included as a stuccoed building with earlier C20 detail on prominent corner site.
Other nearby listed buildings