This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9942 / 51°59'39"N
Longitude: -3.7956 / 3°47'44"W
OS Eastings: 276810
OS Northings: 234382
OS Grid: SN768343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JH56
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.548L
Entry Name: Oak House
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82896
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on corner of High Street and Stone Street facing former Market Hall.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Commercial premises with accommodation over, late C19 in late Georgian style. No 2, known as Oak House and No 4 were built on the yard of the Three Horseshoes inn (No 6) sold in 1882, and building by J James of Penygawse 12 High Street took place after 1883. Oak House was occupied by Henry Davies grocer in the 1890s and Daniel Jenkins confectioner in 1926.
House and shop, 3 storeys, 4 bays with slate deep-eaved roof, hipped to left, but joined at canted angle to No 4 to right, with black brick right stack. Brackets to flat eaves. Large painted roughcast facade with raised plinth, big raised angle strips, 4 horned 4-pane sashes to each upper floor and one similar window to ground floor right now with fixed plate glass. Half-glazed door in second bay from right and broad shop-window of 3 plate glass panes in left 2 bays, with fascia and dentil cornice across over window and door. Left end wall to Water Street has 4-pane sash to first and second floors on left. Lower rear NE wing.
Ground floor wholly altered as shop.
Included as a large building of late C19 date though still conforming to late Georgian style of the principal buildings of the town, on prominent corner site.
Other nearby listed buildings