This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -3.7942 / 3°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 276905
OS Northings: 234358
OS Grid: SN769343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JHJ7
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.54ZR
Entry Name: The Blue Bell
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82904
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated in terraced row, opposite Williams Memorial Chapel.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Inn in terraced row, the 2-storey stucco frontage probably a C19 remodelling of a C18 house, said to have some timber-frame in stone shell. Probably the house rated to Miss Davies in 1810-11, owned and occupied as house by William Rees in 1836, by John Jones in 1841. In 1846 owned by D Bowen and in 1866 by J Thomas. The first record of the Blue Bell Inn at the house is in 1849.
Inn in terrace row, of 2 storeys and 3 irregular bays. Slate gabled roof with roughcast clad large chimney stacks to left and right. Deep eaves. Painted roughcast facade with stucco moulded plinth and impost string courses to both floors, from which spring moulded depressed arch hoods to all openings. All windows are cambered-headed 4-pane horned sashes, the 3 to first floor and 2 outer ground floor ones regularly aligned, ground floor centre with window and door neither aligned with nor symmetrically spaced with regard to window above. Four-panel door with plain overlight and cambered head to match windows.
'Blue Bell' in raised capital letters on first floor.
Interior not inspected.
Included as a C19 inn with possible earlier origins and characteristic later C19 stucco detail. Group value as part of the continuous terraced row along the High Street.
Other nearby listed buildings