This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.932 / 51°55'55"N
Longitude: -4.6272 / 4°37'37"W
OS Eastings: 219474
OS Northings: 229201
OS Grid: SN194292
Mapcode National: GBR D1.NDWT
Mapcode Global: VH2NG.RP4T
Entry Name: Pont-y-Gafel
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82934
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by a track on the N side of Glandwr and some 300m NE of the bridge over the Afon Gafel.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial farmhouse associated with the James family from C18 to later C20, the family were associated with Glandwr chapel in C19 and C20. 1757 Jon James listed as churchwarden. Mortuary record 1772 for death of John Adam Sr of Pantygafael. Edward James, Pontygafael was elected petty constable 1775, David James mentioned 1786, Edward James paid window tax for eight windows in 1798-9, the largest house in the parish. Widow James mentioned 1800. Marked on 1844 Tithe map as owned and occupied by David James, died 1861. Outbuildings dated E. H. James 1870 and EHJ 1914. E. H. James of Derlwyn and Pontygafael was JP and county councillor, 1844-1929. Elwyn James of Pontygafel was head of the agricultural college at Gelli Aur, Carms.
The house is dated 1789 on front range, but the rear wing is older. Altered and reroofed c. 1900, with new staircase. The rear wing looks like a large double fronted C18 house, the windows of the right bay removed for a c. 1900 stair light. An old photograph shown C19 sashes with marginal glazing bars in place of the present plate glass sashes.
House, rubble stone with slate roofs overhanging at gables and stone end stacks. Two storeys and attic, L-plan Three-window main front with eaves cornice (similar to that at Plas Whitchurch) of quarter round moulding over a step. Recessed cambered heads, cut sandstone voussoirs with raised keystones, to plate glass sashes and half-glazed door with overlight. Stone sills. On a stone to left is inscribed EJ 1789. Right end wall has plate glass sash each floor, to left; left end has loft light and sash each floor to right, with brick heads, and basement opening with heavy slab lintel.
Rear range, set back, has square end stack, facade offset to right with tiny fireplace window to extreme left. Four-pane sash each floor to left of door and long c. 1900 stair light to right, replacing matching windows, the lower one part-blocked. Stone slab lintels. Rendered end wall with overhanging verges, tiny window to corbelled smoke chamber. Outshut rear joined to added rear outshut on front range, both much altered with large C20 dormers.
Rear range has three big beams and heavy fireplace beam. Square-cut joists. Within fireplace, to right, is smoke chamber with rounded wall and corbelled stone roof. Main staircase of c.1900 inserted to right of entrance passage, turned newels and balusters.
Front range interior altered c. 1900, 4-panel doors. Main roof has seven oak trusses with curved feet to principals and no collars. Rear roof has six oak trusses.
Included for its special historic interest as a substantial C18 farmhouse, altered c. 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings