This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9535 / 51°57'12"N
Longitude: -4.5837 / 4°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 222548
OS Northings: 231485
OS Grid: SN225314
Mapcode National: GBR D2.M5PD
Mapcode Global: VH2NH.H5M9
Entry Name: Chimney at Llanfyrnach Mine
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82941
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the W side of the minor road to Tegryn some 400m NE of Llanfyrnach Bridge.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Chimney associated with an important lead-mining site going back to the C18. In 1752 land leased from John Lloyd of Cilrhue, 1755 leased to Thomas Lloyd of Cardigan. 1764 report records a seam of 3 to 14 inches width, two levels, a number of shafts and an abundance of ore. 1772, lease from James Lloyd to Messrs Staley & Sheldon of Derbyshire. By 1784 Llwyncelyn mine opened, Lord Milford taking an interest, 1784 disbursements of £1000 from Llanfyrnach and Llwyncelyn. By 1793 Llanfyrnach abandoned due to flooding. Closed 1810-15 but reopened 1817 leased by T. Lloyd of Bronwydd to a syndicate. At a standstill in the 1830s. In 1844 taken on by a local solicitor, miners came from Cornwall. Water initially from the Taf, reservoir built 1861 when development restarted under W. Patrick Roberts, then a ¾ m water-tunnel built 1886 from Rhidiau. Royalties went to the Lloyds of Bronwydd, productive period in 1860s when 230 tons yielded, and two good managers, Captain Roberts and Captain Powell brought average yields up to 300 tons for about 10 years. Mine sold to new company Llanfyrnach Silver Lead Mining Co and refitted with new machinery in the 1870s, production maintained to 1883 but prices fell, mine closed 1890. The remains of an engine-house survive elsewhere on the site.
Chimney is attached to an altered roofless single-storey narrow building, the former boiler-house of No 2 shaft, and is difficult to date, probably earlier to mid C19.
Chimney of former lead-mine, rubble stone, short, circular and tapering.
Included for its special historic interest as an early industrial chimney, remnant of an important local mining site.
Other nearby listed buildings