This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0049 / 52°0'17"N
Longitude: -4.6717 / 4°40'18"W
OS Eastings: 216714
OS Northings: 237426
OS Grid: SN167374
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.HV5L
Mapcode Global: VH2N1.ZV4W
Entry Name: Pant y Deri
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82944
Location: Reached by a drive E off a minor road some 2.3km W of Blaenffos.
Locality: Llanfair Nant Gwyn
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house, of C18 origins, altered c. 1840. Recorded from 1289 when occupied by Madoc ap Hywel whose descendants the Jones, Bowen and Colby families were there until 1912. Grace Jones died 1671, Thomas Jones, solicitor, there in 1694. His son John Jones, coroner, left the estate in 1745 to his nephew Thomas Bowen, died 1756, who married Elizabeth Bowen of Llwyngwair. Her brother James Bowen there in 1762, her son was Admiral Thomas G. Bowen. Thomas Bowen owner 1786, mortgage 1807 from Thomas Bowen to William Davies. James Bowen c. 1810, Thomas son of James Bowen is commemorated in the E window of the church, 1783-1853, but family may no longer have been resident as marked on 1837 Tithe map as owned and occupied by Thomas Frederick Colby. Occupied by J. H. Mallett 1858-9. Sold on death of Thomas Colby, 1830-1912. William Evans JP 1926. In 1806 the house was advertised to let as a 'respectable farm'. The present house has the entrance hall not central to the older 5-bay range, suggesting possibly an older three-bay house enlarged even before the right addition of the mid C19. The rear stair gable looks later C18.
Gentry house, whitewashed rendered with slate roofs. Three and two storeys. Main block has 5-window, 3-storey range with one-window two-storey broad section to right, all under same roof, such that door is now central to whole range. Three rebuilt brick chimneys. Five-window section has 12-pane sashes (upper floor sashes replaced in uPVC) and door in fourth bay. Slate sills and rendered window heads. Raised course over plinth. Six-panel door with 4 panels fielded, and 4-pane overlight, set in mid to later C19 glazed porch. Porch has 3 bays to front, one each end and corniced flat roof. Glazing is in long 6-pane fixed lights each with a top-light with horizontal bar bisecting iron crossed scrolls. Timber panel below each 6-pane light. Door to match in centre bay.
The added right end section has straight joint, tripartite long window to ground floor with 4-pane lights each side of French window, and upper floor has a big square hornless 12-pane window. Cemented heads, slate sills, plinth course continued across.
To left is addition with lower roof and paired 8-pane horned sashes to front and red brick end stack. W end has 2 first floor windows. Rear has hipped brick lean-to and one 4-pane sash above. Rear of main house is outshut with 4-pane sash each floor to right, then stair gable with 12-pane hornless sash each floor, then asymmetrical gable with chimney and varied windows mostly C20 and narrow door with 3 fielded panels. Behind the E addition is 2-storey rear wing running N into bank. W side has door and window in veranda, large C20 window to first floor right. N end has upper floor large 12-pane sash.
Interior said to retain 6-panel doors, panelled shutters, dog-leg timber stair to rear.
Included for its special architectural interest as a substantial gentry house of C18 origins.
Other nearby listed buildings