This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2692 / 52°16'9"N
Longitude: -3.826 / 3°49'33"W
OS Eastings: 275494
OS Northings: 265023
OS Grid: SN754650
Mapcode National: GBR 93.Z2ML
Mapcode Global: VH4G8.M7P7
Entry Name: Pantyfedwen
Listing Date: 20 July 2004
Last Amended: 20 July 2004
Source ID: 82980
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1 km S of Strata Florida Abbey, down drive to E of the road.
Town: Ystrad Meurig
Community: Ystrad Fflur
Community: Ystrad Fflur
Locality: Strata Florida/ Ystrad Fflur
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
House, probably early C18 in rear wing with early C19 front range, stuccoed and extended in late C19 or early C20, when the wing to left was added. The late C19 or early C20 alterations include 4-pane sashes, stuccoing of the front and brick chimneys. The rear range has deep fireplace and winding stair.
The house belonged to the Davies family in the early C19: William Davies died 1818, Thomas Davies owner at time of tithe map 1843 died 1846, and John Davies initiated the first excavations at Strata Florida Abbey in 1847. Owned by the James family in late C19 and C20. John James 1850-1917 was father of Sir David James, businessman, founder of the Odeon cinema chain, 1888-1967. He and his wife Lady Grace James were great benefactors to local and Welsh cultural life, building the village halls in Pontrhydfendigaid and establishing the Pantyfedwen Trust to support Welsh language and culture. They lived at Sutton Hall, Barcombe, Sussex.
Marked on the 1843 Tithe map but the rear wing appears longer than the width of the house. A range to the rear of the present house is said to have been demolished by the Forestry Commission some 30 years ago, as also a large barn to the S, which appears on the tithe map, twice the size of the house.
Large stuccoed house probably remodelled after extension was built on to the left of main house around 1910. Slate roofs. Main front has deep flat eaves, shaped brackets, and rendered end chimneys. Stucco dentilled course under eaves, angle quoins, plinth, two sill courses and shouldered surrounds to windows. Two-storey, three bay front with large 4-pane horned sashes, and centre porch. Painted slate sills. Gabled stuccoed porch has decorative bargeboards and finial, channelled angle piers and rusticated voussoirs. Square-headed entry. Inside, a half-glazed door with lattice glazing bars to overlight. Ground floor window surrounds have keystones. Stone paving in front of door, with porch built on top.
S gable return has been altered: one blocked doorway now window and one first floor window in main range. To right, side of rear wing has two 4-pane horned sashes. Double gable to rear, with two rendered chimneys, the right one with external chimney breast, apparently the older part of the house, window to each floor .
The added servcice range to left of front has less deep eaves, yellow brick end stack and stucco front with matching detail. Large 6-pane sashes, two above, one below, aligned between the upper two and door to right (right of right window above). Half glazed door with overlight.
Front range has some earlier C19 detail. Centre staircase has been altered, left hand room has arched shelved recess (originally one of a pair) and 6-panel door. Room to the right also has six-panel door and panelled shutters. Panelled doors to cupboards flanking fireplace. C19 door to rear with coloured glass insets. Rear wing kitchen has one heavy chamfered beam with scrolled stop, and large fireplace with corner bread oven. Fireplace beam renewed. Thick wall to the left, to new kitchen, appears to be outside wall. To the right of the fireplace is a winding stone staircase.
All the trusses are C19 bolted with lapped collars: the present wide eaves are a late modification of the original roof slope.
Included as a house with good late Victorian detail on core of early C19 and C18 date, and for historical associations with Davies and James families.
Other nearby listed buildings